Friday, February 8, 2019

Are you a criminologist or a sociologist? Chrysanthi Leon Responds

I'm sure that I am labeled as one thing or another, but it doesn't bother me and I'm not aware of harms to my career or opportunities.  I prefer to explain myself as interdisciplinary, and I repeat it firmly, ad nauseum. Since "interdisciplinary" is such a buzzword AND it accurately describes me, this has worked. 

My PhD is interdisciplinary, so I am really neither a criminologist or sociologist by training.  I've published in both areas, but more often in criminal justice or law-related journals.  I've trained graduate students and chaired dissertations in both areas, and I attend regional meetings in both disciplines as well as ASC and LSA.  If pressed, I describe  myself as a sociologist of law.  

I find the feminist strand of criminology to be a powerful place, both in terms of theoretical tools and because the ASC section on Women and Crime is incredibly active in policy advocacy and in mentoring within the field.  I maintain my ASC dues to stay part of this dynamic and supportive group. Otherwise, I believe I get more credibility in the academic and advocacy work I do outside my institution as a sociologist.  

Within my university, being in a combined Sociology and Criminal Justice program is the best of both worlds: I get to teach bright students in small seminars and explore theoretically rich areas, and the CJ major brings in a large number of majors and students fulfilling requirements through our courses, so we are a well-resourced department.  We also benefit from the rankings of our Criminology graduate program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment